Monday, February 26, 2018

SALT ON THE NUTS: THE ADVENTURES OF A WHITE TRASH SAILOR #11

WHITE TRASH, UGLY STRIPPERS, AND 
BARTENDING MIDGETS 


The police officer who worked the day shift 
guarding me spent the majority of his time trying to 
fuck the LPN that was on duty at the same time. 
When she wasn't around he never spoke a word to 
me. Usually he just parked his fat ass in a chair 
while reading issues of Muscle & Fitness, Flex, 
Soldier Of Fortune, and Clits and Tits. When he 
wasn't doing that he was laughing like a retard at 
some moronic daytime game show. 

"This local cop gig is just small time shit for 
me. Just a resume builder. Soon as I get enough 
time in I'm going to put my application in for the 
FBI. With my background, Army, college, and a 
couple of years here on the force. Shit, I'm a shoo-in 
for the Feds."

"Really. Isn't that dangerous work? Bank 
robbers and all that kind of stuff." The young nurse 
sounded starry eyed with wonder and awe.

"I live for danger. I even tried to join the 
Green Berets when I was in the Army but they 
turned me down. The pussy bastards. Said I was too 
radical for them."

"Sounds like you've had a real exciting life. 
First the Army, then being a policeman. I 
sometimes wish I could do something like that. 
Things can get pretty dull around here. This is about 
the most excitement we've had here in years."

I could hear the crinkle of leather as he 
hitched his gun belt up. "That's why I'm here. This 
guy is one bad dude. They put me on the tough 
cases. This prick gives you any crap you just let me 
know. I don't have time for scum like this. I'll kick 
his ass around the room if he gives you any grief."

"Oh, he hasn't given me any trouble. Hasn't 
spoken a word and he is handcuffed to the bed."

***

I was down on the floor of the Aragon Bar. 
That's not a floor you normally want to be laying 
on. I don't think the goddamn thing had been swept 
much less mopped in the last decade. Sticky spilled 
beer, cigarette butts, piss, spunk, those nasty frozen 
Margaritas that come out of machine, chewing 
tobacco, and God knows what else were all part of 
the sights and smells of my current location. 
Unpleasant to say the least.

"Don't you move a muscle, motherfucker!" 
That was the bartender talking and the asshole who 
had shot me with a tiny chrome .25 automatic. To 
add insult to injury, the dirty son of a bitch was a 
midget. I had been shot by a midget! Quite a life I 
was living.

"Shit! Jesus Christ! Goddamn!  You little sawed off bastard!"

 I was curled up in the fetal position clutching my wound. The shot, almost point blank, had caught me high on the 
shoulder. Luckily for me the .25 snub-nose 
automatic is one of those pistols that are designed to 
be jammed directly into the body before emptying 
the clip, a close range weapon. Probably why it's 
called a Saturday night special. Since the bartender 
had fired over the bar at me, a distance of about 
three feet, and had been aiming at my heart, he had 
missed by about five inches.

"Cletus! Cletus! Are you OK? Talk to me! 
Oh, shit!" The bartender was now leaning over 
Cletus la Favor who was lying face down on the 
floor, his head in a rapidly increasing pool of blood. 
He was not moving. Sirens could be heard off in the 
distance.

la Favor hadn't noticed me when I walked 
into the bar and sat down in a booth across from the 
bar and close to the stage where a silicone 
enhanced, g-stringed, peroxide blonde who looked 
to be about fifty, bumped and grinded all over the 
stage. She was dangerously skinny with huge tits 
that sported pierced nipples. Obviously she had to 
be on some sort of speed or crystal meth for as 
active as she was, bounding all around on the stage 
like she was playing Las Vegas. As she pranced 
around I realized in astonishment that she wasn't as 
old as she appeared to be since I now vaguely 
recognized her as a member of my graduating class 
and who had once been a member of the 
cheerleading squad.

Besides the stripping ex-cheerleader, la Favor, 
the midget bartender, and myself, there were 
only two other patrons in the bar. A drunk Indian 
who was face down in his booth and a old geezer 
who appeared to be jerking-off under the table as he 
gazed lovingly at the stripper who's name I now 
remembered for some strange reason. Janet Eason. 
Her stage name was Juggy Jillian.

"What are you drinking?" A mean eyed 
waitress sporting a platinum colored mohawk had 
appeared out of nowhere and was now standing 
alongside my table. She was wearing a white 
muscle shirt and her arms and shoulders were 
totally covered with tattoos and she too was 
sporting a huge pair of enhanced hooters.

"Beer. Whatever you have on tap." She gave 
me a odd look as she went to get my brew.

That bitch should looks familiar, I had 
thought. Holy shit! Was that? It was Angel! I 
thought she was dead for fucking sure after la Favor 
had killed Mike and dragged her ass off in his car. 
All this time I had been too worried about saving 
my own ass much less worry about what the hell 
happened to her. Did she recognize me? I don't 
think so. Shit, it's been almost ten years and I've put 
on almost fifty pounds and sport a full beard with 
hair hanging halfway down my back. She must be 
part of la Favor's crew now or he's got her turning 
tricks for the bar crowd here. Or maybe not! I now 
remembered that Angel had danced here at the 
Aragon from time to time back then. Maybe she had 
been the one that snitched us off. That's why la 
Favor came back up the stairs that night. When they 
took her downstairs to the car she must have told la Favor 
that I was there but I must have been hiding 
up in the attic. That's why they were going to burn 
the place down. la Favor could never have gotten 
his fat ass up into that crawl space.

I reached inside my jacket and felt the 
miniature baseball bat tucked inside the inner 
pocket. It was a memento from my childhood. They 
only thing I had found when I rooted through the 
burned down remains of my childhood home. 

la Favor hadn't waited for the two week deadline that 
he gave me. It had been only eight days since he 
had called me when I got back home. When I pulled 
my rental car up into the driveway all that was left 
standing was the garage. I had walked around 
aimlessly poking at the rubble. I found the 
Minnesota Twins bat stuck under a fallen and 
charred ceiling beam. It was only slightly burned 
and discolored but intact. It was from a game day 
giveaway from the only time my father had taken 
me and my shit older brother, Ronnie, to a pro 
baseball game. The Twins versus the Yankees. The 
Twins had yet to come close to winning a World 
Series and had gotten the crap beaten out of them 
that day. But it still had been a great day. My 
brother and I had been allowed to binge on the hot 
dogs and watered down Cokes while the old man 
got belligerently drunk on draft Hamm's beer. To 
my delight my brother had gotten hideously sick on 
the dogs and barfed right there in the stands.

"Your daddy ran off three days before that 
criminal cocksucker burned his place down!" I 
looked up to find my father's ancient neighbor, Roy 
Huffman, standing in the driveway. He had looked a 
hundred years old when I was a kid and still looked 
about the same. Not a day younger or a day older.

"You the one that Cletus la Favor ran out of 
town aren't you? The one that cracked that fucker in 
the head with a baseball bat."

"That's me all right."

"Well, your daddy figured out once 
Pighouse Pete got himself killed up at the prison 
that old Cletus was going to start coming around to 
finish up old scores so he took off. Packed up some 
shit in his old pickup and was gone. Must have been 
about five in the morning. Bought the time I came 
out to get the Star Tribune. If that shit for brains 
paperboy found the right yard to fling it in that is."

"Any idea where he went?"

"Don't have a clue. Can't say that I'd tell you 
anyway if I knew. I'd prefer not to have Cletus la 
Favor come over here and burn my goddamn house 
down. That big son of a bitch always was fond of 
fire for some reason. That and running cats over 
with lawnmowers He was an evil shit even as a 
child."

I dug the small bat down into a pile of what 
appeared used to be my old rock album collection. 
The only cover I could make out was Lynyrd 
Skynyrd's Second Helpings. "I guess you're right on 
that call." I started towards my car.

"You planning on planting that bat upside 
Cletus's head again?" The old fart laughed with a 
wheeze brought on by a lifetime of Lucky Strikes.

I stopped at looked at the bat I still held in 
my hand for a second and then looked back at our 
old neighbor. "You know, that's one hell of a 
fucking idea. Where do you think I could find that 
fat tub of shit?"

Roy spit in the grass and looked around like 
someone may be listening. "The Aragon Bar. 
Without a doubt. That nasty pricks whole life has 
revolved around that crap-pile. Strippers and booze 
and drugs. Wouldn't surprise me if he has a bed in 
his office there." He turned and headed towards his 
house and then quickly turned around. "But you 
didn't hear that from me."

I decided right then and there to check out 
the "The best defense is a good offense" theory that 
you always here sportscasters babbling about.

Angel had my beer on a tray but sidled over 
to where la Favor stood at the bar, hunched over as 
he weeded through a stack of Easy Rider and 
Hustler magazines. She gave a quick glance 
towards my direction and then began to whisper in 
his ear. I pushed away from my table and was 
already five feet behind them when they both 
started to turn towards me. Cletus had his hand in 
his jacket pocket and was pulling out a pistol. 
Looked like a military issued .45. As he turned he 
started to raise his arm up. I wound up my swing 
from my hip.

"Eat this, bitch!" The bat caught Cletus just 
at the point where the jaw meets the ear. You could 
have heard the crack out the bar and across the 
street. Spit and blood shot from la favor's mouth. 
The bat shattered upon impact and the top half flew 
across the bar and smashed into the mirror that was 
behind all the dusty booze bottles, sending the 
broken shards of glass flying. Cletus's legs seemed 
to lock in place and he fell face down on the floor, 
stopping on the way down to smack his face on the 
old time brass foot rail. I turned to Angel but she 
was already busting ass out the back door.

I didn't hear the shot from the midget's 
pistol.

To be continued....





No comments:

Post a Comment